Reward

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ageing the side walls

Today I finished the side walls using the same technique I used before: a layer of paint on the white wall, the color of sand (pale yellow?) then, I added light layers of water with darker pigments and used a sponge to soften the effect. I don't know if it's very clear for you but I have never learnt to paint, so it's all about...intuition! LOL


 Then I used Monique's  tutorial to make signs on metal and I did the  French street sign and the ad for the hatmaker (la modiste, in French) for the 1st floor. Her tutorial is just fantastic! I wish I could explain the way I do as clearly as Monique. What a great teacher!
Visit her blog Fabulously Small. Here is the link for her tutorial  she published on Janaury 10th, Imaged metal signs.

http://fabulouslysmall.blogspot.com    

. And finally the letters above the door. BLANCHISSERIE means laundry shop.
When I was a kid, I used to visit my aunt's laundry that was located rue du Petit Soleil in the old part of Tours. What a funny name! I found out  later the  Little Sun was a  famous cat house located a few meters away from my aunt's shop! Since then the brothel and the laundry have long been gone. But the street still has the same name.

Then I worked on the coal stove inside the laundry shop. One sheet is already hanging!
The tailor' shop has now its final look with some "canotiers" (the hats) hanging outside for customers to wear in the sun. I need to add something like a tiny price tag, right?

That's all for today. tomorrow's plan: how to do this in 1/12 for the
 laundry shop, I have no idea yet.
Have a nice day, everyone!


4 comments:

  1. Hey Patrick, one of my favorite art teachers in college told me never to use the same brush stroke twice. i know it sounds simple but it's the best advise i ever got while in college. I think your paint work looks very natural and realistic. a Big YES to adding little price tags to the hats! Love the Blanchisserie, i live near the Belgium border and when driving through these small Belgium towns you can see once in a while an old building with Blanchisserie on it. It sounds quit fancy.
    Wishing you a great day!... i forgot the time diffence so a good evening! gr. AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! So realistic and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patrick. Thank your for telling us about "Fabulously Small". So you paint by your intuition....than I can assure you that there is absolutely nothing wrong with your intuition!!! The paint-job you did looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour Patrick,

    Je suis en train d'admirer vos travaux, vraiment vos maisons sont magnifiques.

    Je vois aussi que vous vous posez pas mal de questions dont la plupart des réponses se trouvent dans mon livre (Le Grand Livre de la Maison Miniature).
    C'est aussi le cas de ce « monte et baisse » dont vous pouvez trouver les explications pages 172-173.
    Ce n'est pas compliqué à faire, il faut seulement les bonnes perles, notamment l'ovale pour le contrepoids, afin qu'il soit réaliste et surtout les deux poulies qui sont indispensables (quand j'ai réalisé la maison du livre et les explications en 2006, on pouvait se fournir facilement, mais ce n'est plus le cas aujourd'hui, malheureusement, je ne sais pas où l'on peut trouver ces éléments, à présent).

    Bon courage et encore bravo pour vos réalisations. Léa :)

    ReplyDelete