Reward

Thursday, January 16, 2014

First, I want to wish you all a very Happy New Year. May 2014 keep you healthy and happy, and creative of course.

So, Felix, what are we going to start with this year?
The shop front of the Funeral Home didn't match with the shop so my plan is to build another shop house to relocate it and use the first building for a French shop selling "Articles de Mode" fashion items, right? hats, parasols, gloves, handbags,.....

So during the Xmas break, I made a very simple shop front and painted it black. 

Then I cut the walls and the floors and started to build the shop house. To make it look different from the other shops, I chose to have a balcony and a French door. A few years ago, my brother who builds models for architects in France had ordered these balconies and there was one left. Isn't it beautiful?
I have the plan to design more and sell them in my Etsy shop.
I made the stands for the balcony from polystyrene, I carved them and covered with wood glue to make them strong.

Then the first layer of Gesso...
Then I built the rest of the shop with a ...flat roof. I had a balustrade in mind...
Then the painting of the front and the ageing process started. I like that step but it always makes me very nervous as it can quickly become a disaster....


Then I designed, cut and painted the corner stones



Then I aged the balcony and the supporting elements

Then I started thinking about the roof, a terrace with a wooden balustrade.
When I received the balustrades from England, I built the three stands that connect the elements of the balustrade together from polystyrene as well.

Then I used gesso again, to fill in the wooden elements and aged the whole thing

It looked a bit empty so I added three French urns and aged them the same way. I use acrylic and a lot of water.


But I was not completely happy as it still looked too empty and  I built a roof covered with (fake) zinc in cardboard, covered with paper and aged it (to be finished).


Now this is what the façade looks like:

 Tiger, one of my 4 cats, inspects the new building, he seems to like it.
Now it's time to move the funeral home inside its new location.In color...

or do you prefer black and white?


6 comments:

  1. Votre nouveau projet est magnifique ! De bien jolis accessoires en perspective ! J'adore la façon dont vous avez vieilli le batiment.
    A bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made a really impressive building, and made it sound so easy!
    I love your weathering techniques, the realism is perfect!
    I prefer the color picture but the black and white is very atmospheric (and maybe a little bit scary!!)
    Kind regards, Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Patrick,
    The structure is absolutely spectacular! Your faux finishes are perfect and the building looks so realistic. I am really impressed! The balcony is fantastic and I love the roof detail. The funeral shop is wonderful. Excellent work!
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is perfect, as usual... Happy new year to you too, Patrick!

    Ersilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is just amazing and you make it look so easy. I love your ideas and the balcony is gorgeous. I prefer the colour version, after all your painting and aging, and the floral display inside looks best in 'full technicolour'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stupendous! What a terrific building and finish on it! As Margaret has mentioned, your ideas and the way that you have realized them are gorgeous! You have such a great talent and I thank you for sharing it! :))

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete