Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Swags and tails

Hello everyone,
This is the story of a little piece of fabric woven by a Thai woman in a small village called Ban Me, near Lopburi.
Her loom is under the house, facing the rice fields which villagers are harvesting now.


It's quiet, no radio, no automobiles, only the noise of the chicken around. 
There is also the regular noise of the shuttle that "flies" from her hands from right to left and back, and the shafts she moves with her naked feet at regular intervals. Can you hear the noise?...

All this requires a lot of precision and coordination. But this woman has probably woven all her life. The design is simple, it's not silk either. The panels she weaves will become those skirts countryside women still wear around their waist. No seams. 
The whole loom is made of wood, no metal parts or nails, but pieces of ratan to tie everything together. looms had to be easy to dismount and move to another place. 
Time goes by.... We don't speak. I can't speak Thai and she doesn't speak English. 
I just sit on the tiles of the floor and observe.....
She smiles when I take pictures of her and looks at her loom again.

I leave her home with some pieces of fabric she has woven previously. It is simple but the colours are nice. And I have some ideas...
I wanted to make some curtains and one small piece of fabric is green and it matches the wallpaper of the dining room.
I had bought Anne Ruff' s kit to make swags and tails. It's time to have a try. As she says in her leaflet, you'd better not be a beginner.... but I am.
After cutting the different parts of the cornice and pleating the curtains,
(and burning my fingers with the iron) this is what they look like... It's not perfect but don't be too hard.
It was my 1st attempt. I know, they look a bit stiff...LOL

The next thing I did was to give the aspect of marble to a fireplace I got from Minimum World.
The design is amazing for a very reasonable price. It really looks like the ones I saw in Paris'appartments.
Some firepaces in miniature shops are nice but really too expensive as they are just resin molds...
So after one layer of Gesso, I played with my acrylics... I wanted a light marble, beige and pin with little veins.
Now, the room is 80% completed and I can have an idea of what it'll look like.

Does anyone now if it is possible to reupholster chairs like the ones I have got?
That's all for now. 
Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci pour ces photos pleines de poésie. Vos rideaux sont tres beaux et bravo aussi pour le rendu du marbre qui est très réussi.
    A bientot

    ReplyDelete
  3. La pièce devient très belle. Merci pour les photos de la tisseuse (je me demande si cela se dit au féminin...), voir quelqu'un tisser est toujours magique.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete