Friday, September 9, 2016

L'Hotel Mame a Tours

Hello, I've been quite silent lately but I have started working on a new project called l'Hotel Mame. In French, the word Hotel may apply to a private house as long as it is a big, elegant house.                   We even say " Hotels Particuliers" for swanky residences in Paris, Lyon or Bordeaux.



Anyway, l'Hotel Mame was built in 1768 for Gilles Lefevre de Montifray, a rich merchant. So it's an example of an XVIIIth Century construction, with a classic architecture.
I decided to build the backside because it is more elegant than the front side overlooking the garden.

when I was in Tours at Christmas I took some pictures and some measures with the owner's agreement. She was delighted to hear about my hobby.

First, let me tell you that although it is a 1/12 replica, it's BIG, it's HUGE. I couldn't imagined it would be such a big project.  But it's been a pleasure to build as the architecture is so elegant. I am halfway now. The facade i almost done and I am working on the sides now. Next the roof, then the painting and weathering.




The picture below shows the project done with Galad, a software program. 


The house has two floors, a large hallway, two salons downstairs with fireplaces. Very high windows and high ceilings. The windows on the right side of the house have grids. Balconies and railings for every window. I did all the moldings with the router.
The balcony, railings are brass, processed by chemical etching. The window grids are laser cut made by Arjen Spinhoven I met at the SIMP who did an excellent work.


The ground floor:

The right part of the ground floor:


The 6 windows for the roof are ready




I hope you will like my  project. More pictures soon.

I am also working on a new order: A Ladure macaron shop :)




17 comments:

  1. you have done a lot of work these past few weeks, wow! do you work with wood or cardstock? impressed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marion, I use forex for everything, it's a kind of plastic used by architects and advertisers.

      Delete
    2. of course, you need something stable in your climate! silly me... how could I think of cardstock.. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Bonjour Patrick,

    C'est fabuleux cette façade! Les grilles aux fenêtres sont superbes, je suis évidemment curieux de voir la suite de vos prochains travaux.

    A bientôt,

    yosh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merçi Yosh, Je devrais commencer les couches de fond l'acrylique ce week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is just beautiful and amazing Patrick, as is all your work! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are seriously making me feel totally lazy! I adore both projects, but I look forward to more of L'Hotel Mame......now who knew you could get a computer program to make plans....'not me'! I adore the iron work on the windows.....truely WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, I remember you like French architecture. This is a beautiful exemple of classic XVIIIth century.
      Yes, the program makes the task of cutting an easier task: measures are very accurate and easy to take. The software is called Galad.

      Delete
  7. Embarcado en una nueva aventura,el hotel tiene un aspecto magnífico y con tus portentosas manos,será una realización perfecta,estoy segura!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, I am happy yu like it. More pictures coming soon....

      Delete
  8. Très beau projet bien parti, j'attends la suite avec impatience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Jean Claude, la suite ne devrait pas tarder mais le toit va etre un morceau important que je ne maitrise pas encore tres bien, mais les lucarnes sont deja faites.

      Delete
  9. Bonjour Patrick,
    Cést magnifique! J'adore la façade de l'édifice et le fer forgé sur les fenêtres est parfait! J'ai très hate a la suite.
    à bientôt
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merci Giac, de nouvelles photos des progres des travaux tres bientot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathtaking. Love the ironwork especially. marilyn

    ReplyDelete