Thursday, October 20, 2016

L'Hotel Mame

I have been working on the Hotel Mame for 2 months now and I can share the last improvements with you.



First, weathering. Although the original building was made of 'tuffeau", a chalky white stone from the Loire valley, I decided to give my project a different shade. As a matter of fact, I tried the "tuffeau" look, my building looked new, like an architect model so after spending 5 hours doing the first layer, I started it all over again. This time, I added yellow ochre. It gives it a southern of France flavour. It reminds me of the "hotels particuliers", elegant houses passed from generations to generations, in Bordeaux or Aix en Provence.


Building the roof was another challenge because of the size. The building is large, about 135 cm wide...So,as I used original drawings for the roof "a La Mansart", the height of the roof in the middle is 40 cm! So the roof is both impressive and heavy. I had to build a structure beneath to support it.

Below is a sketch of a Toit a la Mansart

As my project only represents 1/2 of the building, so does the roof.
After hours fighting with it, I managed to finish the roof and starting cutting cardboard slates, hundreds of them. It took for ever before I had enough. I did it while watching the British series about Victoria on TV. I should say listenenig as watching and cutting was not easy. I glued them and added the 4 windows on the roof.


It was time now to work on the details and I built the chimneys from the pictures I had. Stones and bricks together, very pretty!


Actually there are 4 chimneys but 2 look enough. Maybe one day, I'll build the back part of the house, then there will be 8 windows on the roof and 4 chimneys.....

Last weekend, I spent both days working on the floor of the hallway. I used tiles created by Henry Bart , a French artist. His tiles are just amazing, made from stone powder I guess. It is a long process but the result is fabulous, you just grout them like real tiles. And when it's dry, apply some wax. It has the look and the smell of real tiled floors. Give it a try.


 Here is the result. I can't wait to start working on the interior...



I built the two lanterns on each side of the door and chose to add some golden elements after checking pictures on the Internet. I may do them again but we'll see with time.....



The garden urns are typically French, they are made in Anduze in the south of France. They are called vases d'Anduze. The ones I show here were made by French artist  Elizabeth Causeret but unfortunately, she doesn't have a website.


Now, I need to finish the sides, weather them and start working on the inside.

I have had the chance to contact Alison Davies who is a British artist who creates the most beautiful French furniture you can imagine. I think she has started recently to manufacture and sell her pieces but I can tell you, the pieces are amazingly realistic.
 Here are two examples of her work. Aren't they beautiful?


I can't wait to build the rooms to to acquire and display them!

The great news is that Madelva has published pictures of my house, rue du College, in this October's issue of Miniaturas the Spanish magazine. She is very kind and supportive to give me an opportunity to share my work with other people worldwide. Thank you Madelva!





To finish today's post, a picture I like...
As you know, I live with my 3 cats, now that Mimine has passed away and my miniature projects inclue some animals......


Thailand has just lost its King. People are sad.


 Everyone here wears black to show their grief. As a teacher, I'll wear black clothes for one year like all government officers in the country. He was a great King who had always his people in mind and improved the lives of many people here, especially farmers. He loved animals too as you can see and was often photographed with dogs he had rescued.

Have a great day!






38 comments:

  1. Magnifique travail, la façade est somptueuse et l'intérieur semble bien parti avec les superbes carreaux à cabochon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Yosh. Je crois que decorer l'interieur va me prendre plus de temps que de construire le batiment mais cela fait partie du plaisir de faire quelque chose soit meme, n'est ce pas?

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. You have achieved a lot already- wish I could be as fast as you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marion. Yes, I often work quickly especially at night. Your window handles will be in that building :) How is the French house going?

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful house. You continue to astonish me with your designs, construction and talent. I remember your first post. WOW! You have come so far in such a short time. Everything is always beautiful and perfectly scaled.
    I appreciate your professional presentation but is sure would be nice to see your work shop in a post someday. I am so curious about the sorts of tools you have collected. XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine, thanks for your comment. I always enjoy hearing from you as I can't share my hobbies with anyone in Thailand.
      Next time, I will post about my workshop and the tools I used to build my projects

      Delete
  4. It is 4am and I cannot sleep......I thought a visit to blog land might help, but after seeing your gorgeous house I REALLY cannot sleep....(in a good way of course!) Your house is wonderful, I enjoy every photo over and over and love exploring all the detail......simply BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
    I adore Alison's work.....exquisite!!!!!
    The article in the magazine looks wonderful also....well done you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and I know that French houses and French architecture have no secrets for you. Your pictures in your blog have often inspired me. And if I wonder about the colour of a roof or the decorations above a winddow, I visit your blog and get the answer immediately.

      Delete
    2. I am terribly pleased that my humble little blog can offer you some inspiration.....my love of Paris knows no boundaries, the most wonderful place to be!!!

      Delete
  5. Hi, Patrick!

    The house is looking lovely and I can't understand that it has taken only 2 months of you to get it this far! Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna. Yes, I work quickly, often at night when I don't have to use the table saw. It's quiet around and I work faster. Happy you like the pictures.

      Delete
  6. How sad to loose a beloved king, and I am mourn for the country of Thailand's loss.

    Your hotel though makes me Very Happy to see and you have as usual, surpassed yourself.
    The color of the facade has mellowed from centuries of being warmed by a southern sun. The chimney is GORGEOUS, as are your tiles. The blue urn is PERFECT at the entry. Every detail is perfectly placed and in a word- STUNNING!
    Congratulations on your feature in MINIATURA, Patrick, you will make a lot of its readers wish that they could, if possible, be living inside your Amazing Hotel! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, I am happy that my latest project appeals to you. Finding the right colour wasn't easy but I managed after different attempts. With time and experience, I can now use different techniques though every project is a new challenge.

      Delete
  7. Impresionante trabajo!!! es difícil ver tu trabajo y olvidarlo,se queda grabado en la retina,hay tantas maravillas en su interior y en su exterior!!
    Pude recrearme en tu trabajo con la revista miniaturas,un gran reportaje!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Pilar, toujours un plaisir de lire vos commentaires:)

      Delete
  8. Magnifique! On ne se lasse pas de scruter chaque image, tout est superbe.
    J'adore particulièrement le style de votre maison et j'attends la suite avec impatience.
    Bon travail Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Jean Claude, la partie exterieure est presque finie. Bientot de nouvelles photos. Avec le temps et les projets successifs, ma technique s'ameliore petit a petit. A bientot :)

      Delete
  9. Hello Patrick,
    it has become so great....wonderful!!!!!!
    I am sitting in Vienna with wide eyes *g*
    Have a nice day!
    Sigrid
    ShabbyDollhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sigrid, always a pleasure to share my work and my pictures with people who love miniature work too.

      Delete
  10. Lovely, lovely, lovely!
    I love this so much!!
    Well done on more marvellous work, Patrick. You are an inspiration.
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Simon :) Thanks a lot for your your cheerful comments. The outside is finished now but I think it will take me a long time to decorate and furnish the inside of the house.

      Delete
  11. Une nouvelle maison aussi magnifique que les autres. Merci de me faire découvrir Alison Davies, son travail est incroyable.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci chere Genevieve. La qualite de mon travail a bien evolue mais ca me prend davantage de temps car je deviens plus exigeant.

      Delete
  12. The dimension of the project and the amount of details is impressive! It is always a pleasure to read you blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ersilia, that's definitely a big house that will probably never leave my home. I am happy you like to read my modest blog

      Delete
  13. Impresionante ese hotel, te está quedando de lujo
    Besote!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ayla. I am happy you like it :)

      Delete
  14. Wow! Your new Maison is Gorgeous! The floor is just perfect!!! And all the details you are adding will make it look like a 1:1 scale building! I would love to walk in there! Congratulations to have your house published in the magazine! Your work is very inspiring!
    I am sorry at the death of your King. He will be mourned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you very much, it is always a pleasure to share my hobby with you and then to read your comments. There will be another post soon as the exterior of the house is now finished.

      Delete
  15. Your exterior painting is wonderful and spot on - I can almost feel the setting sun and the warm walls. Every molecule of your house is an inspiration. I was lucky enough to be at Alison's first show here in the UK and am the very proud owner of six of her pieces and have my eye on two more. I can't wait for the next episode.... Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marilyn,
      Yes, I think my house will be the perfect setting for Alison's furniture. I have just ordered a console for the hallway> Next, I'd like some seats. What did you get?

      Delete
    2. Two settees, two chairs and two small tables in the cream colour. (small sitting room) I am about to order a pair of the console tables in walnut for the music room. My project is not as wonderful as yours but it is about loving the doing of it that matters most. Marilyn https://daltonhouse.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
    3. Hello Marilyn, your blog is just like going through a shop. I love it and I have just started reading it! I will let you know when I get Alison's furniture. I may order the mirror too. Have a busy Sunday :)

      Delete
  16. It's beautiful as usual Patrick, such amazing soft stone colours, well done! So many beautiful things you have shown in this post, it's hard to know where to start! Anyway, congratulations on your article in Miniaturas. It is well deserved praise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shannon. Actually I painted the whole house twice as was not happy with the first attempt. It looked like an architect's model, LOL. Now it looks like a building in the south of France that has been aged by the rain. I like it better that way. Yes, I am grateful to Madelva who always publishes my work.

      Delete
  17. Bonjour Patrick,

    Quelle superbe demeure, un raffinement exquis, une maîtrise technique parfaite... Vous me faîtes rêver!

    A bientôt,

    Vincent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Vincent. C'est toujours avec plaisir que je lis vos commentaires. Ce sont eux qui me poussent a etre d plus en lus soigneux dans mon travail.
      La maison est finie exterieurement maintenant et bientot de nouvelles photos

      Delete
  18. Patrick you make building the roof sound easy, cutting tiles while watching tv. I am sure the interior will be as magnificent as the exterior, you certainly have a gift for creating realistic miniatures. And I love Alison's furniture also and look forward to seeing some in your rooms.

    ReplyDelete