First, weathering. Although the original building was made of 'tuffeau", a chalky white stone from the Loire valley, I decided to give my project a different shade. As a matter of fact, I tried the "tuffeau" look, my building looked new, like an architect model so after spending 5 hours doing the first layer, I started it all over again. This time, I added yellow ochre. It gives it a southern of France flavour. It reminds me of the "hotels particuliers", elegant houses passed from generations to generations, in Bordeaux or Aix en Provence.
Building the roof was another challenge because of the size. The building is large, about 135 cm wide...So,as I used original drawings for the roof "a La Mansart", the height of the roof in the middle is 40 cm! So the roof is both impressive and heavy. I had to build a structure beneath to support it.
Below is a sketch of a Toit a la Mansart
As my project only represents 1/2 of the building, so does the roof.
After hours fighting with it, I managed to finish the roof and starting cutting cardboard slates, hundreds of them. It took for ever before I had enough. I did it while watching the British series about Victoria on TV. I should say listenenig as watching and cutting was not easy. I glued them and added the 4 windows on the roof.
It was time now to work on the details and I built the chimneys from the pictures I had. Stones and bricks together, very pretty!
Actually there are 4 chimneys but 2 look enough. Maybe one day, I'll build the back part of the house, then there will be 8 windows on the roof and 4 chimneys.....
Last weekend, I spent both days working on the floor of the hallway. I used tiles created by Henry Bart , a French artist. His tiles are just amazing, made from stone powder I guess. It is a long process but the result is fabulous, you just grout them like real tiles. And when it's dry, apply some wax. It has the look and the smell of real tiled floors. Give it a try.
Here is the result. I can't wait to start working on the interior...
I built the two lanterns on each side of the door and chose to add some golden elements after checking pictures on the Internet. I may do them again but we'll see with time.....
The garden urns are typically French, they are made in Anduze in the south of France. They are called vases d'Anduze. The ones I show here were made by French artist Elizabeth Causeret but unfortunately, she doesn't have a website.
Now, I need to finish the sides, weather them and start working on the inside.
I have had the chance to contact Alison Davies who is a British artist who creates the most beautiful French furniture you can imagine. I think she has started recently to manufacture and sell her pieces but I can tell you, the pieces are amazingly realistic.
Here are two examples of her work. Aren't they beautiful?
I can't wait to build the rooms to to acquire and display them!
The great news is that Madelva has published pictures of my house, rue du College, in this October's issue of Miniaturas the Spanish magazine. She is very kind and supportive to give me an opportunity to share my work with other people worldwide. Thank you Madelva!
To finish today's post, a picture I like...
As you know, I live with my 3 cats, now that Mimine has passed away and my miniature projects inclue some animals......
Thailand has just lost its King. People are sad.
Everyone here wears black to show their grief. As a teacher, I'll wear black clothes for one year like all government officers in the country. He was a great King who had always his people in mind and improved the lives of many people here, especially farmers. He loved animals too as you can see and was often photographed with dogs he had rescued.
Have a great day!