Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Chinese shophouse project

As I was staying with my brother, we worked on the Chinese shop together.
Do you remember the project?
Back to the worktable....
First the folding doors of the shop

A nylon string will allow the door parts to fold.
Now the two small windows above

There was some decoration above the door...


 Back to the computer this time...

Now the elements are glued on the front...

The door is installed....

and the top windows as well to get a view of the project

As you will see on the original, the shop will be a little wider as in reality, they are very narrow but it didn't look good in 1/12. It was too high and too narrow so the gap between the corner stones and the wooden door is much bigger.

The next step will be the roofs above the windows and the main door. I will try to be very close to the design  of the real awning.


7 comments:

  1. Bonjour patrick
    Magnifique début de devanture, j'aime beaucoup le dessus de la porte principale. Vivement la suite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another project that is going to be gorgeous, I am sure! it already looks beautiful and very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating Patrick! I am intrigued by the folding doors and the use of nylon thread! I think it is ingenious! Did you thread it between the layers or did you apply it to the back panels?

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, it's always great to hear from you.
    Elizabeth, you know how difficult it is to use tiny hinges and nails. That's the reason why I have used elastic nylon thread. What I mean is it's nylon but also it's elastic, like a rubber band.
    I inserted 4 pieces at different heights (cf pic 5) between the layers before gluing the different panels, making sure the nylon didn't get glued. That was a bit tricky.
    Now the different folders can open and close and there are no hinges. I'll try and take bigger pictures for you in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patrrick! I know the kind of nylon thread that you are talking about! It is the stuff that hold up your socks! I would love to see more detailed photos of the process because you are right, those tiny hinges are very tricky and they often come loose after just a little manipulation. This method of yours may benefit a lot of us who have Fat Fingers Syndrom!

      elizabeth

      Delete
  5. C'est un début très prometteur. Moi aussi, je suis intéressée par ces charnières en fil de nylon.

    ReplyDelete