Reward

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Nylon elastique

As some of you were interested in the 'nylon elastique" I used to replace hinges, let me give you some details. This nylon thread is used to make bracelets and necklaces I guess. Here is a picture and a link
http://www.cdiscount.com/juniors/jeux-et-jouets-par-type/fil-nylon-elastique-20-m/f-120062002-auc2009998760420.html
to one of the shops which sells it.
 I found mine in an Art and Craft shop in the beads department.
The purpose was to replace the hinges on the door panes which are to thin for real hinges.
The trick is to set the elastic thread between the two layers of wood,
to do so:
decide where you want to have the thread, groove a line where the thread will go on one layer. Then glue the 2 layers together making sure the groove is still there. Use a thin piece of metal to make sure the gap isn't filled with glue.
If you look carefully you can see the different threads on the picture below


When the glue has set, you should be able to insert the nylon inside the panel and add the different panels.
To insert the nylon string, cover the end with this glue that we call "colle contact" here as it can glue your fingers in 1/2 a second. I don't know what you call it in English. That way, the nylon thread can be easily insert between the 2 layers of wood.
Make a knot on each side if the thread so that the door panes are set together. Now you have an invisible hinge that works pretty well
I am sorry if I am not clear but feel free to ask me any other question about it.
Have a nice day!


4 comments:

  1. Gracias por la explicación!!!! Queda perfecto.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Patrick! Thank you for the clarification and I am going to keep this post in mind the very next time I attempt to hinge a folding screen or a set of shutters! I really love the concept and I am anxious to give it a go!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very clever Patrick, thanks for the detailed explanation. (That glue that sticks your fingers together in a fraction of a second is 'Super Glue' in English.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merci pour l'explication détaillée, je n'ai pas évident à réaliser mais très astucieux.

    ReplyDelete