Reward

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

A resourceful site

Hello everyone,

A short post before I fly home on Monday. I'll be back on June 26th and will spend a month with my "great" parents and my sibblings at home in Tours, France. I can't wait to enjoy my mum's and my friends' cuisine.


 I enjoy my life here in Thailand but going home is always all "expats" long for once a year.

When I studied Joachim du Bellay's poem in High School "Heureux qui comme Ulysse", I didn't imagine I would be like Ulysses one day.... That is the best translation I can think of...

Happy he who like Ulysses has returned successful from his travels,
Or like he who sought the Golden Fleece,
Then returned, wise to the world
Live amongst his family to the end of his age!
When shall I see again, alas, of my dear village,
Its chimney smoke, and in which season, ?
Will I see again that little, modest, plot of earth
That is a province to me, and far more than I draw here?
I’m drawn far more to my forefathers home,
Than to a Roman palace fine and proud,
More than hard marble I prefer fine slate:
My gaul Loir I prefer to latin Tiber,
My little Liré I prefer to Palatine,
And to sea air, soft climate Angevine.
Joachim du Bellay, Les Regrets, sonnet XXXI, 1558.
Today I am not going to speak about my project but about a website I have just discovered and I am sure many of you will like it too.
It has been created by David Neat. He is a British Art teacher and he must have spent hours and hours to create this valuable piece for us, amateur miniaturists, to use.
The site is divided into different units. 
I mainly focused of the section called methods which is divided into 8 units, making realistic models
recommended tools for small-scale making, 
white-cards models, 
common size of things, 
brickwork patterns, 
mould making and casting, 
working in scale.
Each unit is develloped in sub-parts, all detailed with pictures. Below is a picture by David Neat ( Don't worry I asked him if I could publish one his pictures and he agreed!)


If you, like me, haven't studied anything about building miniatures and techniques, you will adore his work. 
I have been doing miniatures for 2 or 3 years now and I can't get any help here from seminars or workshop so you can imagine that this site is of a great help.
This website is free and Mr Neat knows what he is talking about and how to teach about it.
That's why I want to share this with you today.
Here is the website's adress:
http://davidneat.wordpress.com/methods/making-realistic-models/main-construction/
The other very good news is that Madelva Fernandez will publish 4 double pages about my work in her June issue. It makes me so happy to be able to show other people what I can do in my free time with some Forex and a cutter (and many other tools, I know...) 
She has sent me the draft but I can't show you before the magazine is issued in Spain in early June.
The other good news is that I have ordered a Proxxon table saw with the money from my lasr order.I think that it will make my hobby much more professional with a saw like this.

29 comments:

  1. Bonjour Patrick
    Je viens d'aller voir le site de David Neat. Il est très interressant car très bien illustré pour ma part je vais avoir des problèmes pour la compréhension car je ne parle pas du tout anglais (à mon grand regret), je vais donc être obligé de faire un copier coller des textes et de les faire traduire. Merci pour cette découverte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour,
      Si j'avais plus de temps, je le traduirai avec plaisir mais c'est un gros morceau. Si il y a des passages qui vous interessent plus particulierement, indiquez les moi et je vous les traduirai.
      Amities
      Patrick

      Delete
    2. Merci Patrick, j'ai réussie à le faire traduire sur internet ce n'est pas très précis mais je comprends bien le principe. Amitiés Patricia.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree about David Neat's blog! If you can, order a foot switch with your table saw, it makes it much safer and easier to use, considering the guard that comes with it is useless for miniatures! Also, there are absolutely brilliant jigs available from Pat and Pam Boorums website, such as a mitre slide, a jig to make tapered table legs, a finger joint jig and the one I use most, the table slide. They aren't cheap, but if you're not an engineer, you can't make them yourself with the same precision.

    Happy holidays with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iske for these valuable information. I used to do everything by hand so this machine will be my first one. I will check Pat and Pam Boorums and try to see what other equipment I need.

      Delete
  3. Merci pour le lien avec le site de David Neat. Mon anglais est assez rudimentaire mais les explications semblent très claires.Cela semble, en effet être une mine de renseignements techniques pour des miniaturistes sans formation comme moi.
    Heureuse que vous puissiez profiter de votre famille et cette belle région qu'est la Touraine. Je crois avoir vu que vous participerez au SIMP. Si le cas est, je suis sûre que nombre d'entre nous serons heureuses de vous y saluer.
    Bon voyage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour,
      Oui, je serai au SIMP, je vais y exposer des fleurs en argile Japonaise. Passez me dire bonjour.
      Amities

      Delete
  4. thank you for sharing with us, wishing you a gorgeous trip home, plenty of well deserved rest and happy memories to take back with you after visiting in one of my most special areas of France.. oh how I long to walk next to the Loire..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, this year, I can't wait to go home for a while...

      Delete
  5. Je connais ce site et je vais régulièrement y faire un petit tour. Dans un avenir proche j'aimerai pouvoir réaliser ce genre de vitrine,, cette perspective de profondeur me plait beaucoup!! Peut-être aurons nous l'occasion de nous croiser dans les rues de Tours!!!!
    A bientôt!
    isabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Isabelle,
      Je ne savais que vous etiez de Tours. J'en suis parti il y a 6 ans pour vivre en Thailande mais je suis content de rentrer chaque annee pour des vacances. Irez-vous au SIMP?
      Amities

      Delete
  6. Hello Patrick,
    What great news! Congratulations on the article. Your work is amazing and so well done, it is no surprise they would publish it. Thank you for the link to David. I have had many great ideas off his site in the past and I am sure many people will find it a great resource and great information. I can't wait to see what you will be able to do with your new saw. bonne vacances et amusez vous bien . Je vous sohaite beaucoup de plaisir au sein de votre famille.
    big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac,
      Thanks for your message. I saw in your blog that the breakfast room is almost finished. It will look very nice. I hope the situation in bangkok won't get worse and that getting to the airport won't be difficult.
      Keep in touch,
      Hugs

      Delete
  7. Hi Patrick
    Congrats on being published!! Kudo's to you :) have a great time with your family and friends. Im too klutzy to have power tools I'd probably cut myself :)

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marisa. I am sure you'd know how to use a table saw.It's not that difficult and probably less dangerous than a cutter.

      Delete
  8. Bon retour au pays : ) , un petit coup de Vouvray à l'apéro !!! Je connaissais certains travaux de David c'est en effet une mine de renseignements sur les matières ,extrêmement intéressante .
    heu je suis chauvine .....je préfère le poème de Du Belay en Français que la traduction de l'anglais en Français hooooo parce que je ne te dis pas ce que cela donne quand ta page est traduite en Français !
    Au fait tu exposes quoi au SIMP ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bonjour,
      J'y exposerai des fleurs faites en argile japonaise au 1/12 que fait une amie Thai. Je vrentre au bon moment, ca risque de craindre a Bangkok dans les jours a venir.

      Delete
    2. Ok , je ne sais pas encore si j'irai faire un tour cette année .Oui j'ai vu ça chauffe en ce moment en Thaïlande pas bon pour le tourisme ça.

      Delete
  9. Merci pour le lien que je vais aller voir.
    Félicitations pour la publication dans Miniaturas, j'ai hâte de le recevoir.
    Bon retour en Touraine et profitez en bien.
    A bientôt.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjouyr Genevieve
      J'espere que la pluie se sera arretee! A tres bientot au SDIMP, vous devez etre tres occupee a broder
      Amities

      Delete
  10. WOW Patrick! What a cup full of good news! :)) Congratulations on your magazine spread in Miniaturas! Quite and honor in and of itself to be in it but then to have sooo many pages....... Fantastic!
    And I agree with your assessment of David Neat's site and I have bookmarked many of his pages for future reference.
    I know very little about table saws and only wish that I wasn't so fearful of power tools as I know that it would make life a lot easier when it comes to producing miniatures. I already think of your work as "Professional" so it will be worth the watch to see how you will take it to an even higher level. :))
    Have a safe and wonderful journey home.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Elizabeth,
      I have juyst seen the drafts but she has chosen a lotr of pictures. But since then I have finished new projects and work on two commissions!
      That's why I can afford the saw now. it will make my work better and easier I bet. I am sure it's easy to use. I'll make a video-tutorial for you, ok?
      Thanks for your positive comments. They push me UP!
      Cheers

      Delete
  11. Que bien tantas buenas noticias juntas!!!!
    espero que disfrutes tu viaje con la familia y amigos!!!
    El blog de David Garrido es impresionante,creo que estamos muy de acuerdo y enseña unas técnicas inmejorables!!!
    Como vas a disfrutar con tu nueva herramienta,yo la tengo y estoy encantada!!!!
    Estoy deseando ver la publicación en la revista "Miniaturas" me encantará ver tu trabajo en ella.
    Nos vemos a la vuelta!!
    Besos,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Pilar, your words make me happy! :)

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your miniatures going into print. Very exciting. Also thank you for the link. Enjoy your trip home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am sure I will find something to post while I am in France. I'll post the pages of the magazine when it is published.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations, Patrick and thank you for sharing! I really admire your dedication of miniature making and sharing your knowledge. I wish you a safe flight back to France and hope you'll enjoy every day of your vacation "back home"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna. I will keep posting from France too, about chateaux or France, LOL!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete